Monday, July 2, 2012

Quinoa with black beans, corn, and salsa

If you can make the time to make mac and cheese for your kids, then you can make this!

This is a simple recipe with only 4 ingredients:

- 1 cup quinoa (pronounced keen-whah)
- 1 can black beans (rinsed)
- about 1/2 bag frozen corn
- about 1/3 cup salsa

After rinsing 1 cup quinoa, combine it with 2 cups water.

Bring to a boil.  Then reduce heat and cook for about 15 minutes.  It cooks pretty much the same way rice cooks.  It looks like this when it is ready:














When the quinoa is ready, simply add the black beans, corn, and salsa.


Let the mixture heat up for about 5 minutes to heat everything thoroughly.

Done!































CC had two helpings!






















As I said earlier, if you can make the time to boil water for mac and cheese, you have time for this!


*****
Don't be afraid to make quinoa.  I buy mine at Whole Foods.  As I mentioned, it cooks like rice, so you can do it.  It is a grain, and tastes like, well, a grain I guess.  It doesn't really have much flavor, and picks up the flavors you cook with it.  It is crazy good for you! It has protein, and full of phytonutrients and antioxidants. 

As for the black beans?  Holy fiber batman! Black beans also have a good amount of protein.  This food is just loaded with good stuff.  Check out whfoods, and you can read all about it. 

I urge you to read about the foods you are eating.  It makes you understand the importance of eating the right foods.  The right foods actually WORK for your body.  I hate to hear people snacking on nuts and saying "oh, I shouldn't be eating these."  You should!  Nuts are good for you!  Know what you are eating.

Who wants colon cancer?  Who wants heart disease?  The need for good foods all start once children are off breast milk, so it is important to achieve nutritional excellence early in life.  But, it is never too late to start.  Make the change!  Add healthy foods to your diet!

4 comments:

  1. where is it found at the grocery store?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet in the aisle with rice. Whole foods has it in the aisle where you find beans, lentils and rice.

      Delete
  2. I love this blog! I just tried this recipe and it was awesome. This was my first time making quinoa at home. I had to use kidney beans instead of black b/c I was out of black, but it was still delicious! I'm a soon-to-be pilot wife and I love your other blog. Thanks so much for the recipe. Keep 'em coming! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! Kidney beans are crazy good for you too! Loaded with antioxidants....I actually think it is one of the most powerful souces of antioxidants.

      Delete