Sunday, July 22, 2012

Chickpeas, sweet potatoes and peanut butter

This recipe is a spin off of another one I prepare, which has many more ingredients and takes a decent amount of time to prepare.  However, us pilot wives don't have a ton of time on our hands, so we have to be quick in the kitchen when our pilots are gone.  I feel that by simplifying the recipe into one that has just a handful of ingredients,  it tastes just as good and keeps time in the kitchen down.

Here is what you need:
- Chickpeas aka garbanzo beans (about 2 cups)
- sweet potatoes (about 3-4 of them, cubed)
- peanut butter (about 1/3 cup - or so)
- cinnamon, paprika, cumin (to taste)
- onion (optional)



Regarding the chickpeas, I prepared a whole bag of dried beans, per instructions on the bag.  To make this meal truly a minute meal, make sure you soak and cook the beans ahead of time.  Soaking takes anywhere from 4-8 hours, and cooking takes about 50 minutes.  If you don't use dried beans, use canned...canned will really make it a minute meal.


Step 1: dice one onion and saute until translucent.  I say this part is optional...I am sure you don't need it, but I like onions and think they give a good base of flavor to dishes.









Step 2: add cubed sweet potatoes.  At this point, add a bit of water or chicken/vegetable stock to the pot to help in the cooking process.  Let the sweet potatoes cook until soft.




Step 3. add chickpeas
yes, I know the bag is empty...I took the picture too late.





Step 4: add spices and seasoning to taste.  I happen to love cinnamon with sweet potatoes.  I also added paprika and cumin.  Ginger is another excellent addition to this dish, I just didn't have any.



Step 5: add peanut butter and continue to heat for about 5 minutes so the chickpeas warm up, the peanut butter melts, and all the flavor mix together.




Step 6: Eat!  How flippin' easy is that?!   



 I will admit, Ben didn't really eat this dish, but he is sort of a picky eater.  What do they say about exposing a kid to something 15-20 times before you give up?  Yup, that is Ben when it comes to certain foods, sweet potatoes being the culprit here.  CC, on the other hand, ate it right up. 


****

Ok, so lets talk about how good chickpeas are for you.  They have a good amount of insoluble fiber in them.  Insoluble fiber travels all the way through your small intestine, undigested, and then starts digesting in your large intestine, which is the colon.  When it breaks down there, certain acids form which keep your colon good and healthy.  (see the full write up on whfoods)

I am 33.  Do you think I should worry about my colon health?!  Hell yeah I should.  I don't want colon cancer.  What I do now sets me up for later in life.  What I feed my kids now sets them up for later.  Colon cancer ranks #3, from what I have researched, in cancers in the US.  It is out there - and common!  Be proactive.  Eat foods that prevent disease.

As for the sweet potatoes, all I have to say is Hello Vitamin A! Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of Vitamin A, which helps anything and everything from cells to immune function to vision.  I urge you to read all about it over at whfoods


*****

Smacznego!

2 comments:

  1. this looks really good! is it better/healthier to use dry chickpeas as opposed to canned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. from what I understand, there is little nutritional difference between the two. If you have the time, make dried as they are cheaper. But, if you don't have the time just make sure you rinse the canned beans under running water.

      Delete