Tuesday, October 1, 2013

butternut squash with avocado and sunflower seeds

I make a lot of recipes on the fly. 

This one was no different. 

I had a ripe avocado.  I had butternut squash.  I searched the Internet and browsed a number of recipes, kept thinking "no, too much time to make" and so I came up with this one.  The best part about this recipe is incorporating the kids, and them being their own chef. 

Admittedly, my son does not have an open mind when it comes to food.  OK, so maybe he will eat hummus, but he doesn't even want to think about a kiwi fruit.  I have to work him a lot before he gives into some foods.  And I WILL keep working him...I want him to understand what good foods does for his body.  I figured that if the kids, mainly my son, helped with building this dish then chances are he would eat it. 

Ingredients:
- butternut squash
- ripe avocado
- sunflower seeds
- Hungarian paprika
- honey
- lime juice

1. Cut butternut squash into pieces, and place on a cookie sheet to be roasted in the oven.  I always roast in the oven with salt, pepper, and olive oil.  Cook at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes.  Ok, so this isn't the minute part of "healthy minute meals", but the rest of the recipe is super quick!

2. Place roasted squash onto plate.  Place plate in front of child, and let them build their dish with: avocado, sunflower seeds, honey, lime juice, and paprika.

 
 
 



This is how my plate looked:
 
 
 
And this is how my daughter's plate looked. I didn't get a picture of my son's plate.



I get that some people (meat eaters) would look at this dish and think more "side dish" but it really is filling as a meal in and of itself.  It is nutritious, and crazy fast to prepare!  Not to mention, the kids had fun building their own dinner.



Smacznego!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joanna,
    This looks delicious! I like your idea of letting the kids build their own "customized" serving! That seems like a great way to give them a feeling of having a choice yet still ensuring they eat nutritious foods. As for Ben: I used to be a very picky eater as a kid. I absolutely hated oatmeal, stewed tomatoes, vegetable soup... to name just a few. I'm sure my Mom was tempted to disown me on many occasions. Anyway, now that I'm older, those are some of my favorite foods! Go figure!

    ReplyDelete