Wednesday, September 18, 2013

bean and lentil soup


I came to make this recipe quite by accident.  I was set out to make white chili, but I was missing chicken bouillon and green chilies from my pantry.  So, I scoured my options and came up with this delicious soup.

Now that Fall is in the air, soup is a great thing to add to your diet.  It is nutritious, and warms up easily the next day for busy families on the go.



Ingredients

-  olive oil
- 2 cups great northern beans (I make an entire dried bag at a time, and freeze 2 cup portions to use at my discretion)
- 4 cubes beef bouillon
- 1 heaping teaspoon of minced garlic (yes, the jar is empty...I just used the last of it)
- 1 onion, diced (I only had red on hand at the time, but any kind would do)
- 1/2 cup lentils
- water (enough to fill a small pot...I didn't measure exactly but I would venture to guess around 8 cups water...I promise to be better with measuring next time!)



1. In a small pot, sauté onion in olive oil.  When the onion is just about done, add your garlic and sauté for another minute or so.

2. Add water, lentils, beans, and beef bouillon to the pot. Bring to a boil for a couple minutes.

3. reduce heat, and let simmer until lentils are done, which is about 20-30 minutes. Done!

Not the best picture, as the beans and lentils are at the bottom of the pot
But, you still must try this soup!



This soup has a very hearty flavor to it.  As I mentioned, this was my first time making it, and I will be sure to make it again.

**I wanted to add some sautéed mushrooms to the mix, but I didn't have any on hand.  This would have been a great addition, and one I will probably try next time.


****

Let's talk lentils.  They are legumes, which are in the same family as beans.  Need some fiber in your diet?  Lentils sure have you covered!  Lentils are rich in both soluble and insoluble fiber.  What does this mean to you?  You will poop better, and with that cholesterol will leave your body.  Lentils are also a very heart healthy food.  I don't totally get why they are, because this is where the details go a bit over my head with talk of acids and the like, but you can read more about lentils here at World's Healthiest Foods.

****


Smacznego!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment